Monday, May 13, 2013

CSLP Reflection


The presentation of my comprehension strategy went pretty smoothly. It helped that I had the opportunity to sit down with a Spanish teacher in my school for feedback and helpful hints on what I should be preparing my students for. She told me that we assess students on reading, writing, listening and speaking, and need to teach them comprehension strategies that reach all of these areas. The activity I chose gave students the opportunity to practice each area.

Reading - Students read the paragraph "Las haciendas de Maricela" and highlight the chores they see listed. They also star chores that Maricela does. 

Writing - Students answer the questions written beneath the paragraph.

Listening - Students ask their partners "¿Que tienes que hacer en la cocina?"

Speaking - Students ask and answer the question listed above and present the chores of their partners to the class.

I felt a little nervous to give the presentation, but found that when I used scaffolding to introduce the activity our classmates were able to follow along and complete the activity. Even people that didn't speak spanish could do it!

If I was to present this lesson again, I would find a more engaging way to introduce the vocabulary. I would also do a bThis could have been a good opportunity to show students that everyone makes mistakes and it is ok to do so by showing them the mistakes and having them correct them. All things to think about. 

This activity would be good for any content area when introducing new vocabulary. Science comes to mind for this because there are a lot of words that are difficult to understand and remember. Giving students a text and having them highlight the new vocabulary would cause them to read the words and give context to the meaning at the same time. Listening to other classmate's presentations has helped me to add strategies to my teacher tool belt and I am excited to implement these comprehension strategies in my Spanish classroom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment